Tuesday, March 24, 2009

So here I am writing another blog entry without any hope of any audience. So here are my musings for today, my sudden realization that would suffice for today.

I had the great displeasure to have what could possibly be described as one of the weirdest conversations I have ever had in recent memory. It was friend, it was odd, simply because it assumed certain facts, facts that had never been ascertained, that we had wronged each other and slowly and surely, we were driving a wedge between what probably is a relatively decent friendship. It was rightfully odd.

Now, what does this have to do with this post. We spend a lot of our time celebrating ourselves, our individuality, the defining characteristics that make us who we are. There is nothing wrong with this, in fact there are many people out there who are still in denial about themselves, ashamed even.

The problem arises when we expect people to accept these things about us in an almost militant fashion. It is almost a case of you have to accept me for who I am right now, and if the answer I get is unsatisfactory, screw you (there might even be a finger waved menacingly in a direction).

The truth of the matter is, we are so scared, so determined even that we are accepted for who we are, that we do not give the responding individual time to respond. There are far too many mixed signals, things lost in translation. Yes you are who you are, but you are not a perfect person. I cannot judge you as such, I believe that is God's responsibility and curse as a perfect, omnipotent being. The point is, just talking about it, explaining it, and accepting that it may take time, a lot of patience goes a long way. Just as much as you are imperfect, the other person is also just as imprefect or to some extent even more so.

The crux of the matter, I realise that this is quite a verbal mess and maybe I will be able to refine it in time to come is this, give people a break, be fair to everyone and who knows, you may have saved the friendship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home